Saturday, September 20, 2008

Superdawg Saturday!

I was looking over my blog today and it must appear I do nothing but squander away money at restaurants. Part of these meals comes from the amazing generosity of friends and adopted family here, and every day I continue to be amazed at how much they have opened their homes and their hearts. I know some days have been very difficult in the past 3 weeks, but it was moments with these folks that made the difference between a day spent in tears and alone, or at least able to get out for a few hours.

Today was the first time that the 4 of us, which I affectionately call "the gang" have actually been together hanging out since the 4th of July weekend trip I made before making the decision to move up here. It's amazing how time has flown by since then!


Only one of us had been to Chicago's famous Superdawg Hot Dog Drive in stand, and so we went there today, grabbed some dawgs, and then kicked back and watched some episodes of Robot Chicken.

I have kept an eye on the power reports for Louisville, and can only hope that no news is good news, since I don't want to add an additional drain on electric resources. People know how to get ahold of me, I just hope they do, soon.

As for the job front, I am weary this week of the search. I couldn't find it in me to put in the 20-30 hours a week finding job postings, and replying. But, I think I can feel comfortable with a little lull based on the two pending interviews I had this week, both of which lasted nearly 2 hours, and while neither will make me rich, one position in particular has an EXCELLENT benefits package, a very laid back, but extremely productive work environment, and an amazing department manager.

This particular manager was the first person to really pick over my resume, and comment on my objective statement. This makes me feel good about the company as well, because it was a risk throwing out words like creativity, teamwork, and social responsibility. For the longest time, I didn't even have an objective statement on my resume, but figured if I was specific in the areas that mattered as far as office environment and work style, I could be more broad as it pertained to a specific position.

It is also nice to have some verified benchmarks for my wpm/keystroke speed. I had a very rough idea, but on an unfamiliar computer and under the pressure of a timed test, I averaged 67 words per minute with 99% accuracy, and 10,440 keystrokes per hour with 99% accuracy for the data entry portion. I was very very happy with those numbers, hehe.


As for the final decision being made by a chiropractic office I had interviewed for, I was informed the decision date was moved to Friday (yesterday) but didn't receive a call before the end of the day. I'll give them a call on Monday, but compared to the enthusiasm I received from the 2 interviews this week, the chiropractic enthusiasm seems lackluster at best. I am still thinking positively in all three aspects, but realistic to the nature of the job market as well.

Above all is the attempt to minimize financial stress. I am doing everything I can at the moment, holding off any big purchases, and paying what I can. Besides... like the Mastercard commercial says, you can't put a price tag on some experiences in life. I know I will look back, years from now, and be glad for this experience. The blog is so I can remember all the details in my old age!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Windy City Memories. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino