Friday, September 12, 2008

Missing my drum

Back in February I was part of a Native American drum crafting workshop, and thoroughly loved every minute of it. Taking to heart the true self journey that is part of this experience, I spent quite a while waiting for the right design to present itself to me. I forget when it happened, but this is what I started to sketch onto the drum, because of the yanta that it represents:

When focused upon, this yantra mandala brings us to the center of ourselves, and allows for self-love. By engaging in the act of self-love we are more able to love those around us. And by doing this, we are living in a more loving world. This symbol reminds us of the enormous chain reaction love can have. By just starting with a little love in the center (ourselves), we are able to dynamically affect the entire world.


From the craziness, the drum never made it with me on the move, and now I'm really feeling like the art of putting this on color (I had sketched out and done the main outlines) would really be a visual representation of what has been going on in my head and in my heart these last couple weeks. But, I am afraid of having it shipped out, due to the drumheads being so delicate. My best hope is that I can pick up the drum when I go back to KY in December.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Windy City Memories. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino