Monday, September 1, 2008

The Arrival

I guess I should be thankful my drive from Louisville to Chicago was uneventful save for a wrong directional entrance on the I-90 in Indiana, which was fixed in moments.

The lease agreement was forever long - almost 15 pages!!! But it was very thorough, and I am glad for no surprises. I apparently picked a busy weekend to move in, and got my first parking scarcity trying to find a spot to do the lease paperwork. It wasn't so bad walking around the block, but a completely different story once I needed to start unloading.

Dusty was absolutely fantastic on the drive - he slept most of the way, and we stopped about every 2 hours for a bathroom break, making this the longest drive into chicago - I left Louisville at 5am Chicago time, and walked into the leasing office at 11:45 am.

I was given permission to park in the alley for unloading, and took my time getting the first bits of stuff out. My goal was to get enough space cleared to pull out the chairs before some friends came over to help with the rest, and their timing was pretty good!

I was very impressed that the cable guy actually showed up when they said he was, and I have internet and cable before I actually have a bed or any other furniture. I thought about not doing the cable part until i actually have a TV, but it is such a pain to wait for the 3-4 hour window they give you to make sure someone is here to let them in for the hookup.

I have such good friends - they put up with my very frantic, stressed out self on move in day since I just had so much to think about, and frankly was just trying to keep it all together.
They fed me, gave me beer, and just having that support on the first day was so very appreciated.

The night finally came, and I spent the first night here alone. Dusty did very well with all the noises, as we have a hallway for the 10 apartments on the floor. He's only barked twice at a noise he heard, though there is lots of excitement up and down the hall every time I take him outside.

With the time difference, we were both up early early. But, the first day is over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Windy City Memories. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino