Thursday, February 19, 2009

I was going to post this as a reply to a comment, then thought it might make more sense here, to explain some of my own journey.

I lived with a Buddhist for a year in Kentucky, who had previously been a devout Catholic who died in her 40's, and 15 minutes later was revived. She saw something in those 15 minutes that made her leave the Catholic church, and she has never looked back.

Now, 30 years later, she is a Piute shaman, Buddhist, and also a protector of ancient Mayan peace pipes. She also holds a doctorate in Holistic Psychology, and every time I think that the world is going to pieces, I just have to picture this woman in my mind.

There is something completely different about being in her gaze. When she looks at me... I can see that she sees right through my eyes to my heart, and especially to the things I do not say. She has opened so many doors in me, both emotionally and spiritually. Some of the most difficult steps I've made as a human being have been because of her true desire for all to embrace compassion, especially compassion for one's self. That is something that I was never educated about, but makes all the difference in true, long -lasting wellbeing.

Most of all... this woman accepted me into her family with arms wide open, as if I was another daughter. There was a moment at Christmas where all of us - the 2 daughters, a daughter in law, and myself were all in the kitchen, and the next thing we know we're all hugging and crying and laughing. Some of the guys came into see what all the commotion was about, but wisely tiptoed back the way they came!

One of this woman's many other talents is acting as a spiritual guide for Sacred Ritual Site tours - the last tour they took was to Tibet and Nepal, to visit with the Monks and the monasteries there. I would love to be on their trip in 2010 if there was ever a way to pull it off.

While all romantic relationships leave their mark, this is by far the best gift I could ever have asked for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Windy City Memories. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino