Sunday, July 18, 2010

Numb


Sam and I made a road trip to Lanesboro this past weekend. I wanted to see my gramma's grave and just get out of chicago for a while.

It was a great time, but was full of both happy and sad.

It felt wrong to be in Lanesboro and only seeing 1 aunt/uncle.

There was a Hanson reunion Sat so when we headed back to Lanesboro we stayed a little longer than originally planned to put in some face time. Muriel was adamant that Sam have a picture of us under the Norwegian flag hanging at the Sons of Norway lodge.

And the whole drive home.. I was half numb. the grave was grown over and solid.... nothing like what it had been a year ago. The flowers were fake silk ones. Gramma always kept live flowers when she went to visit Orvis every week.

And I felt like I should cry or have some more emotion over it all.. but it wasn't there. Then this morning I was reading a blog post about someone's dog passing away and the waterworks started.

In any case.... we're back in Chicago. Time to put the heavy heart on the shelf for a while and enjoy the precious few days Sam still has here.

2 comments:

Mark H. said...

I was just thinking about the Hanson family reunion in Lanesboro and was wondering if I missed it. I went about 5 years ago and lost contact with the Hanson's there. If you could please send me contact info for the person that organizes the reunions, I would appreciate it. You can find my email addr through my profile. Thanks.
--Mark Hanson

Amy said...

Will do, Mark. Cherolyn told me that its always the 3rd Saturday in July.

Post a Comment

 
Windy City Memories. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino